The third book I was allowed to review for Candlewick Press during their preparation for the poetry month of April, is "In the Wild". This is another large hardcover book by David Elliott and illustrated by Holly Meade. This impressive book explores animals in the wild and has a short poem about each.
One of my favorites is about the jaguar.
The Jaguar's back is flowering
with delicate rosettes,
as if she's grown a garden there,
so beautiful, and yet
there's danger in the jaguar's gait,
a soundless step that warns:
Beware of jungle raised bouquets.Beware those hidden thorns.
I also love the somewhat melancholy verses of the one on the buffalo.
In burning sun,
in blinding snow,
there stands the mighty Buffalo.
His temper short,
his suffering long--
once was sixty-million strong.
In burning sun,
in blinding snow,behold! The mighty buffalo!
The book is recommended for ages preschool through grade 2 which seems about right to me. It's also a large hardback book with 32 pages and 10 1/4" X 11 7/16". This would make a great gift book for any children you know who are fascinated with animals (I don't think I've ever met any who weren't!!) or also useful to stimulate further reading in more depth about any of the individual animals.
You can read more about this book, or the other two Candlewick books I've reviewed at their site, Candlewick Press. The book can be purchased at most bookstores or at Amazon.com In the Wild.
I'm also able to offer one of my lucky reader the opportunity to win this book!
Read one of the reviews I did for the other Candlewick Press books (links below) and leave a comment on that review. Then come back here and let me know. You should read them anyway! They're about great books. I especially loved the "Switching on the Moon" book. If you read and comment on both reviews, you can get TWO entries so leave TWO comments.
Switching on the Moon: A Very First Book of Bedtime Poems
A Primer About the Flag
- Follow me on GFC (2 entries so leave 2 comments)
- Subscribe to my feed
- Sign up for my email newsletter in the upper right side bar and make sure to verify the link in the email you'll receive (2 entries so leave 2 comments)
- Enter any other open giveaway. (Listed on upper left sidebar)
- Go to Candlewick Press's site and name another book you'd love.
- Read my post about swagbucks HERE and leave a comment on it. Come back to let me know on this post
- Join swagbucks through the referral link on this post and get 5 extra entries in this giveaway. You must be an active member of swagbucks at the end of the giveaway for these entries to count. Make sure to leave 5 separate entries.
Giveaway begins now and ends Wed. March 16th at 10PM EST. Must be 18 or older to enter. Winners will be selected with random.org and will be notified by email. Winners must respond within 48 hours or a new winner will be selected. Prizes will be sent by the sponsor.
Disclosure: I was sent the books for the purpose of review. I received no other compensation and my review is my own and my honest opinion.