CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 28, 2011

Chilren's Book Review: Switching on the Moon


I received this book of children's bedtime poems to review and must say it certainly is a beautiful book....both visually and in content.     The poems are lyrical and an easy introduction to poetry and rhyming for children and the illustrations are gorgeous! 

It's  divided into three sections, "Going to Bed", "Sweet Dreams", and "In the Night" and contains some of the old classic rhymes you probably remember from your own childhood as well as works by Lord Alfred Tennyson, Jane Yolen, and Sylvia Plath among others.  

One of my favorites is "Bath Time Pirate", maybe because my son always loved pirates.  I wish I could show you the picture of the boy dressed like a pirate in the bathtub!

My name is Captain Soapsuds-
A mighty ship I sail.
I love to feel the sea mist
And hear the cold wind wail.

I count my bags of treasure.
I make men walk the plank.
I wish I had more fingers
To count the ships I sank.

When big sea serpents see me, 
It merely makes me shrug.
I'm Captain Suds the pirate,
Till Mommy pulls the plug.
--Robert Scotellaro

Or for those of you not obsessed with pirates and looking for something a bit sweeter, there is "Stars with Wings".

Sometimes it seems
like all the stars
have fallen
from the skies.
but when I see
the stars have wings
I know they're fireflies.
-Betsy Franco

This lovely book is recommended for the 4-8 year old crowd, but I can see children both younger or older still enjoying it.   The book is 96 pages long, but don't let that intimidate you if you're reading to the younger crowd.    Each poem is only one or two pages long so can be read quickly. 

It's not easy to tell from the photo, but the books is impressive in size also.    It's11.4 x 10.4 x 0.7 inches in hardback.   This would make a great gift to your own children to encourage them to go to bed, or to give as a gift.     I LOVE to give books and my children love to receive them.  Reading high quality books is one of the best gifts we can give our children.


You can purchase the book at most bookstores or through amazon Switching on the Moon: A Very First Book of Bedtime Poems.

5 comments:

  1. Christina - xristya@rock.com - What beautiful illustrations! And the Stars With Wings poems that you chose for your review is splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This DOES look like a great book! I think my 2-year-old niece would enjoy this book because of both the illustrations and the poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. really cute book
    susansmoaks at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the page that you featured, "The Star"!

    theyyyguy@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete